Monday 22 August 2022

A Desert Resurrection, of sorts...

Hello Readers! So I have returned from the dead – so sorry to disappoint my (many) enemies. Despite my enforced absence, Suede is happy to report a return to activity, and more tales of oppression and suffering to tell.

 Anyway, a couple of months back I received an interesting message from another (yes, another!) of the many HCT victims that have emerged in recent times. In between the various verbal comings and goings, I happened to ask her (i) just why she had just volunteered to come and work for HCT, and (ii) whether she had seen this blog beforehand or not.

 Well, my new colleague chose to ignore my second request (still waiting, by the way!), and merely supplied the following few lines.

 I joined HCT in March 2014, while it was still mostly run by western expats, because I wanted some cash to buy a home. The more time I spent there, the least I liked the culture and the savage oppression of expats, holding jobs over their heads. They run everything by oppression and fear, to hide their malice, dishonesty, corruption and ignorance.

 So, that’s interesting, but nothing original or worth getting excited about, I hear you say – and you are correct.

However, the really good news is that later she sent me a whopping 800-word novella that I should be publishing very soon!

 So watch this space, comrades. I reckon the full story should be ready for publishing in a day or two.

 And meanwhile, I would still like to know just why anybody has taken up a position with HCT in the past few years, especially if they have read the pages of this blog.

UPDATE: received from our 'novelist' above...

Regarding your questions, yes I joined freely but I wasn’t aware of what was going on or your blog. By the way, an Emirati colleague (middle manager) told me that 350 teachers left in July this year. She also said that nobody wants to work there now….they’ve accomplished their goal, to totally ruin the best educational institution in the Middle East, sad 😞

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 350? I'm surprised!

Anonymous said...

It really beats me why anybody would take a job in the Middle East without doing the due diligence. The whole place is just an evil snake pit looking for careless victims. I reckon this unfortunate teacher got what he deserved if he failed to research the college beforehand. I mean, it’s not exactly difficult these days, is it?!

Anonymous said...

So come on Suede, where is your promised renaissance piece?
Don’t keep us old HCT veterans in suspense!

Anonymous said...

Well, I have wasted a year of my career/life here, so let me just summarise what is wrong with this place, in my humble and limited experience.
Firstly, there is very poor leadership here at HCT, as they attempt to micromanage everyone and everything. So many of our 'leaders' are inexperienced and incompetent, and they make the basic mistake of believing that because they are making moves, giving orders and changing things, then they are doing well. Well, nope! Go back to your management books, kids (if you can read them) to learn some of the very elementary foundations of motivating your staff; and take the amazing step of asking your employees their view of the awful mess-ups that you have caused!
Moreover, there is a serious lack of respect towards the employees that deliver the services, and Faculty are regarded more like school teachers rather than being treated as proper professors as expected in all higher education institutes. Even worse, the poor academic governance that these monkeys display has lead to HCT being regarded as the 'basket-case' of higher education institutes in the UAE. No Emirati teenager would actually choose to come here, it's now the place of last resort.
I could go on (and on), but in short, HCT is HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL and DOES NOT VALUE ITS EMPLOYEES OR ITS MISSION at all!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am just SO looking forward to going to work there tomorrow!
Really.

Dario said...

Well, I recently completed my first and only contract at HCT, and would like to offer my two-cents worth.
Firstly, I should say that there are some faculty members who do care about their students, just as there are some students who do care about their education. But that's it. Indeed, HCT does have the potential to be something great, but the potential is unlikely to be realized given the current setup. A deep and lasting shake-up in management is long overdue.
Secondly, it's extremely saddening that personnel decisions are not based on performance, but show clear favoritism towards those who appear to have the 'required' management connections, a.k.a. 'wasta'. Unfortunately, both faculty members and college students are usually afraid to speak out for fear of the probably negative consequences. This results in low performance standards for students, the most minimal retention of quality faculty members, and a LOT of staff turnover.
At present, HCT's future lies in the hands of its new boss. Whether he's listening or sticking his head in the sand dunes is as clear as mud!

Anonymous said...

Nothing is gonna change. The new management are nothing but dimwits. The government should close it down entirely.

Anonymous said...

أحمد السعيد حرامي ونصاب وشحات أبن شحات

Thieving Git! said...

Ahmed Al-Saeed is a thief, a crook, and a beggar, the son of a beggar

JayBee said...

Thieving has been a common feature of the higher levels of the HCT management. Just do a search on this blog for HCT 100 and you’ll see how commonplace the stealing is.

Anonymous said...

Stop the Steal! STOP THE STEAL!
To all the students at HCT I beg you to stand up and stop your government stealing your only chance of a decent education.
STOP THE STEAL!

Anonymous said...

HCt students will only stand up if there’s free cake or pizza involved. Otherwise, theirs is a strictly sedentary life!